Monday, August 23, 2010

Should you or shouldn't you

Well, that is not for me to say. What you do isn't up to me and you shouldn't really care what i think. That said, if I think whatever it is your doing is wrong I can say so. And you have the right to tell me tell me to mind my own business and you'd be right to do so. That's the beauty of living in America, we have the freedom to say and do what we want, where we want and how we want. Well, for the most part where we want. Obviously, you can't do anything to harm other people, including yelling 'fire' in a crowed theater. Trying not to sound like a meaningless platitude, but that is what makes this one of the greatest counties on the planet.

Now, this brings me to my point. The people building the Park 51 project in lower Manhattan, otherwise known as the "Ground Zero Mosque" have all these same rights. Last time I checked lower Manhattan was still in America and the Constitution provides for the Federal government to make no laws to abridge the freedom of religion. So they have as much right to build a community center that will also serve as an over flow place of worship for the other two mosques that are only blocks away as well. Speaking of blocks, let's set the record straight this center will be located in an old Burlington Coat Factory that is six city blocks from the site of the north tower of the World Trade Center. True it is two blocks from the several block area that make makes up World Trade Center complex. Have you ever been to NYC, six blocks is a long way. If the towers were still standing you would barely be able to see them from so blocks away because of all the other buildings around.

Honestly, I don't understand what people are all up in arms about. Like I said there are already two mosques that are in the area...one of which has been there for almost forty years. People say it's too soon and it's not being sensitive to those that lost loved ones on that tragic day. Okay, I'll give you that one. It maybe for some people, I couldn't imagine what that must have been like for anyone. The closest I got is living in New Orleans for the year leading up to and evacuating for Katrina. But I digress, always wanted to say that. Moving on. What all of the people ginning up all of this false outrage, that is leading to real outrage, are neglecting is that there is a mosque in the Pentagon. And it is only 60 ft from the spot that the plane hit the pentagon and no one there seems to have a major issue with it.

Then there is the story of a different imam who says that the people who perpetrated this atrocity would see this center as a shrine to what they did. Maybe so. He also makes a point that this place will become a focal point for those who think all Islam is evil. Definitely. But only because people have made a big deal about it. If no one had made hay about it, would those people have really known about it. Who knows.

Know the question is: should they or shouldn't they?

I quote the Clash because I think it fits so well "should I stay or should i go now? If I stay there will be trouble and If i go there will be double."

No comments:

Post a Comment